Sunday, November 23, 2014

Not Quite Superheros, But Still Something Worth Remembering

For the past month Rebecca has been preparing the choir for a special Thanksgiving musical number. Although Rebecca is very musically talented, she has never directed a choir before, and so she has been a little stressed wanting to make sure it all turned out right for church today. You might remember the previous post about study hall passes. Well today was the big performance. Julia and Ethan went up with the rest of the choir and did great.

Christian and Elliott told me they would be reverent in going up and it seemed like they did pretty good during all the practices, so I didn't think there would be any harm in letting them go up too. I was definitely wrong, and I knew that I had made a mistake when it was time for the choir members to take their seats. Although Christian and Elliott folded their arms as they were walking up to the stand, instead of sitting with the rest of the choir, Christian sat all on his own and Elliott went all the way back to the last row. As the song began Christian started off well, but Elliott stood up on the bench of the last row and started jumping back and forth from one end of the stand to the other. Rebecca had peeked over her shoulder and gave me a panicked look, but I thought it would make more of a scene if I was to run up there and get him. But then Christian saw all the fun that his brother was having and so he left his spot and joined him. Unfortunately, jumping on the benches turned into some tackles, and Christian hollering out directions to Elliott for how to play the game right. Then it turned into crawling under the benches and popping out at different places on the stand. Although I gave them some "you're in huge trouble stares" and motioned for them to come down at once every time they looked at me, I couldn't help but laugh throughout the musical number. As I looked around the chapel I did notice smiles on everyone's faces, but I felt bad for the distraction when the choir (and especially Rebecca) had worked so hard on the reverent musical number. 

After the musical number was over, Rebecca walked back to our seats and I could tell she was super embarrassed. She still did get up for the closing song and with a smile on her face, led the congregation in the final hymn. After the meeting, several people came up to Rebecca and offered kind words. One person even said that he saw more courage in her when she got up to lead the final musical number while smiling than he had seen on the battlefield with soldiers dodging bullets. I know Rebecca was really embarrassed, but I don't think she needed to be. I am sure everyone at church was thinking "what kind of a husband sends up two little kids to run around on the stand while his wife is trying to lead a musical number?" I am happy to report that although it was embarrassing while it was happening, Rebecca and I have had several laughs about the whole incident today.

Christian (4) and Elliott (2) are my superheros today for keeping us humble and giving us something to laugh about.


No comments:

Post a Comment