Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Classroom Visit - Superhero Julia

I got to visit Julia's class today and do an hour long presentation on how brains work and ways to take care of them. It was a lot of fun for me and I think all of her classmates had a good time as well. When I was in the class I saw that all of the kids share a two person desk except for Julia and one other kid in the back - they each had their own desks that were side-by-side. Curious, after school I asked Julia about the desk situation and why hers and the other kid's desks were different. Julia's teacher has told me on a few occasions how well-behaved Julia is in class and how much she loves having her in there, so I wasn't at all worried that Julia had done something wrong. At first she said that she didn't want to say because someone's feelings might get hurt. I assured her that it would be okay sharing with me because I am her parent. She then explained that the other kid struggles at school and sometimes has a hard time sitting still and following directions so he needs his own desk away from others sometimes. I then asked her how she got assigned to sit next to him. She said she wasn't assigned, but she chose to because he is her friend. Ethan than jumped in and told about all the games that he likes to play with Julia and that kid at recess time.

Julia (8) is my superhero today for being a friend to someone who might have a harder time at school.


No comments:

Post a Comment